As the Holiday seasons come around faster than ever, so do the calories! It is hard to resist grandma’s baking and mom’s cooking; but we can help you be a little bit healthier this year and still keep that savory sweet flavor.
Another struggle of the holiday goodies are the food allergies. Most people have a perception on sugar free, gluten free, or nut free treats as boring and bland. Well, not this year! Here at the 700 we have some great, easy and yummy recipes to help your holiday hassle. With these recipes, you can not only be healthier but fit the lifestyle of all friends and family.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 28 cookies; Units: US; Calories per Cookies: 45
1/4 Cup Vegan Margarine
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Caster Sugar
1 Egg- Beaten
3/4 Cup Rice Flour
1 Cup Soy Flour
1 Bag Dark Chocolate Chips
1/2 Bag Dark Chocolate Chips- Melted
1. Beat margarine, sugar and egg in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
3. Stir in sifted flours and chocolate, mix well.
4. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls.
5. Place 5cm apart onto greased oven trays; flatten slightly.
6. Cook in a moderate oven, for about 20 minutes on 375*, or until lightly browned.
7. Stand on tray for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8. Decorate cookies by drizzling with extra melted chocolate.
Nut Free Christmas Crack
Yield: 1 Sheet; Units: Us; Calories per serving: 98
1 Sleeve of Saltine Crackers
1 Stick of Butter
1 Cup of Brown Sugar
2 cups of Chocolate chips
1. On a baking sheet, spread out Saltine crackers. Melt butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until gooey. Pour over crackers and bake at 350 degrees for five minutes, or until bubbly.
2. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Let sit for a few minutes until chocolate chips begin to melt. Then, spread over crackers evenly with a spatula.
3. Stick in the freezer for an hour, or until chocolate hardens. Break into small pieces and put into gift containers or baggies. Store in the freezer until ready to eat or give away.
Sugar Free Pumpkin Delight
Yield: 6 servings; Units: Us; Calories per serving: 300
1 (3 ounce) package instant sugar-free vanilla pudding mix
1 ½ Skim Milk
1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 ½ Cups Lite Frozen Whipped Topping
1 (9 inch) Low Fat Graham Cracker Pie Crust
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the pudding mix and milk until well blended. Blend in the pumpkin, pie spice and fold in whipped topping.
2. Spoon into pie shell and chill. Top with low-fat whipped topping for garnish. Sprinkle a little ginger on topping if desired.